A number of scholarships are available for applicants who are nationals of developing Commonwealth countries and who are applying to a range of 1-year master’s courses to be confirmed.
The scholarship covers course fees, college fees and a grant for living costs of at least £12,780. Awards are made for the full duration of your fee liability for the agreed course. The scholarship is jointly funded by the University and the UK Department for International Development. It supports students from developing Commonwealth countries who would not otherwise be able to study in the United Kingdom.
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a Commonwealth citizen, refugee, or British protected person
- Be permanently resident in a developing Commonwealth country.
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/ October 2018
- By August 2017, hold a first degree of either first or upper second class (2:1) classification, or lower second class (2:2) classification plus a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree)
- Not have studied or worked for one (academic) year or more in a developed country
- Be unable, either yourself or through your family, to pay to study in the UK The CSC promotes equal opportunity, gender
You must not be at present living or studying in a developed country and must not have studied or worked for one academic year or more in a developed country. You must also be willing to confirm in writing that neither you, nor your family, are able to pay for you to study in the UK. Additionally, you must be willing to return to your home country as soon as your award comes to an end (the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission will only consider requests to extend leave to remain in the UK post-award for those wishing to progress from master’s to PhD study and strict conditions will apply). More information is available on the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships website.
Selection is expected to take place in June 2018. Please see the Standard scholarship selection terms for more information about the application and selection process.