- DEADLINE: November 15, 2017.
- The University of British Columbia is pleased to partner with The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to provide comprehensive scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.Benefits
- Full scholarships to academically promising undergraduate students from sub-Saharan Africa.
- Be a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- Present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of their country’s socio-economic scale, and be able to show they lack financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary (university) education in their home country or elsewhere;
- Have achieved academic excellence (mostly ‘A’s) under difficult circumstances, and show leadership qualities or potential;
- Demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities outside the classroom, in the school and/or community;
- Be graduating/recently graduated from a recognized senior secondary school;
- Be applying for their first undergraduate degree in one of the following Faculties at UBC’s Vancouver campus:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Applied Science (Engineering)
- Vancouver School of Economics (Bachelor of International Economics)
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land & Food Systems (including Global Resource Systems; Food, Nutrition & Health; Applied Biology [Applied Animal Biology, Applied Plant & Soil Sciences or Food & the Environment])
- Sauder School of Business (Bachelor of Commerce)
- Faculty of Science
- Be an international student who will be studying at UBC on a Canadian Study Permit;
- Commit to returning to Africa immediately after graduation from UBC in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
Eligible Regions: Sub-Saharan African countries.
Official Link: http://mcfscholars.ubc.ca/